Saturday, March 26, 2011

Reacting vs Responding

Coaching calls this month has been on Reacting vs Responding.
This has really brought my awareness level up around this subject. Reacting is uncontrolled, stressful, and does not provide solutions. Responding has a thought process. Responding provides solutions.
I am guilty of reacting, especially within my family. When my son get's a bad grade, I blow up. What I've learned from this coaching is that behavior makes me angry, my son angry, and nothing is resolved.

I have changed my approach and now my son and I are actually talking about steps to improve his grades.It is a two-way conversation, instead of me dictating what I want him to do.  I honor him when he makes the small steps that will help him to achieve his goals in getting better grades.  I am learning to embrace his individuality and encouraging him to find what works for him in achieving his goals.

I'm feeling better and so is he.

I LOVE MY COMPASS LIFE!

No comments:

Post a Comment